Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Acapella FTW!


Jay Sean's Down

It's been awhile since I ehem "downloaded" none-Japanese music due to the limitation of my hard disk partition for my MP3 collection which is only 50GB. But now I have Jay Sean and Jason Mraz and later, Kelly Clarkson albums.

Thanks to NOTA, winner of 4-episodes acapella singing show, The Sing-Off. Their rendition of Jason Mraz's I'm Yours, Jay Sean's Down, Jackson 5 Medley of I'll Be There, ABC and I Want You Back; Bee Gees' Staying Alive, and other songs deserves them a win.

Their Stayin' Alive performance brought back many of my high school memories, one of it is when my vocal group won third place in the Hulu Langat District Vocal Competition. We sang an acapella medley of Malay songs plus a Bee Gees medley. Thank god most of the judges were quite old that they lived through the era and nearly danced with us.

Iwas responsible for the falsetto part, and when it comes to the Stayin' Alive part, I was the lead. Believe that. Quoting Shawn Stockman of Boyz II Men in The Sing-Off as part of a comment; "It is a scientific fact, that women love a well-placed falsetto." XD

Yeah yeah, once an audience screamed "Anak kambing!" at me but what the hell, it was a constructive criticism.

The school's vocal group. Picture above was taken in 2002, rehearsing for a school charity event at Mint Hotel Seri Kembangan. The 3rd generation. The 1st one was founded in after PMR examination with 9-10 members. The 2nd generation was when quite a lot left for MRSMs which left the 5 of us. Then the 3rd generation when Abang Mu, the bass and me the falsetto left to concentrate for SPM. But I did return for a few performances CEWAH!!!

And since then, when it comes to acapella songs, I'll be looking forward to hear the falsetto part. Blame the guy in the middle for always giving me that part.

Hit the jump for some of Nota performances.


Stayin' Alive.
We made it almost like them 8 years ago. Although my falsetto is still unbeatable XD.


Jackson 5 Medley.
I have the Jackson 5 collection and MJ's pre-puberty voice is good for warming up for any seiyuu-ing session.


Lean on Me.
Now, watch the bass guy with the fedora at 01:17, the most machoest scene I've ever saw.
Cracks up the walls and glasses with that impressive voice.



I'm Yours.
The first performance from the competing groups.

More collaboration performances can be found on Youtube.


Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura of Heroes), Jack Black and few other notable persons attended the grand finale. Jack Black can be seen singing to Boyz II Men's End of The Road haha!

The Sing-Off was fantastic and Nota was amazing all the way!

No comments: